Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Weekend and Workin'

So I thought I'd take a little break from hectically working to catch you guys up on the rest of my weekend and what not. After going out to dinner on Friday, I had a lovely Saturday, a good mix of productivity and relaxation. That night we had a party at the old hostel which was awesome! We had food, singing, dancing, music. Indian people are far less shy than most Americans when it comes to singing in public. They all took turns singing what seemed to be the Indian equivalent of camp songs then we busted out into a rockin' dance party. It was really fun. I didn't get any really good pictures but I'm waiting for some other people to send me theirs so once I get those I'll share them with you guys on here. On Sunday, Alex (the student from the University of Texas here doing a project I mentioned before) and I went to Rishikesh for the day. I had only gone for a day with Stephanie a couple weeks ago and was really glad to get to see this cool city again. It is a holy city on the bank of the Ganges and a very famous pilgrimage site. In fact it is high season for yatras, or pilgrimages, and all day we were surrounded by huge groups of people all decked out in orange, chanting, and carrying offerings and bottles to bring home some of the holy Ganga water. They walk from all over and so many of them didn't even have shoes on! The journey is supposed to be difficult. It was a really neat experience to be there during yatra season. I also hadn't eaten any non-Indian food for quite awhile and we had an amazing dinner of falafel, hummus, and pita and spinach and mushroom enchiladas at this cute cafe overlooking the Ganges River. All in an all, a very good weekend.

Now, I'm here in the midst of my last weekend at the Wildlife Institute! It is so crazy how time has flown by! I have a presentation and final report due and it has been pretty stressful getting everything together by myself. Jennie and I went out and played frisbee in the pouring rain last night for a little stress-relief, it was great. Since I don't have any pictures from the weekend, here are some of me in my office so you guys can see where I spend the bulk of my time...

This is Steph and I outside the door of our office which has our names on it (I know, we are such dorks!).

Modeling my desk. Big shout out to Mama Neel for selecting and providing the jacket. Thanks!

I have a sweet view with nice big windows!

Okay time to put this desk to good use and get back to work!

0 comments: